Â The county court, obviously with an early eye for economy and the public weal, exercised what must be regarded as extreme caution inÂ construction of the house of justice. Â At first it appeared that Thomas Rucker whose home served as the meeting place for the first court would receive the most favorable consideration. Â One memorable statement by a local citizen possibly summarizes the attitude of community leadership: “Plant workers and collegians just donât mix.” At that time, there was apparently no real basis for concern since the only factory of any dimension was the Tennessee Red Cedar Woodenware Company and it was located at a discreet distance from the two campuses. Swartzbaugh, manufacturers of hospital food service equipment, in coming to Murfreesboro in 1951, opened the floodgates to high caliber industrial firms that eventually found homes and friendly operational bases in the community. At 2:00 a.m., in the morning of March 21, 1913, parts of the community were again devastated by a natural phenomena on the rampage. An indication that the community may have at last reached a fair level of recovery was the establishment of the Murfreesboro Street Railway in 1892. In fact, it followed generally the new overland market road from the county to Nashville. Heraldry for the new century, probably an appropriate harbinger of things to come, was in the form of an automobile, the first or supposedly the first in the county. Â Also, Dewitt Smith Jobe, a resident ofÂ Mechanicsville near Rocky Fork and likewise a in Confederate scout, was captured, tortured, and killed less than a mile from his home. Â Owned either by George Darrow or James Reed, this one-seated, lever-guided phenomenon first made its appearance in the summer of 1900 on the public square. His son, Charles, later built an elegant townhouse near the Murfreesboro square. Â So, the Rutherford pioneers began occupying the hunting lands left years before by the Choctaws, Chickasaws, and Cherokees. Â Then moving to Charles Readyâs home on the east fork of Stoneâs River, the committee was delightfully belabored by a sumptuous banquet and a persuasive Charles Ready. Â Later constructed in this order were Murfreesboro and Salem, Eagleville and Salem, Lascassas, Bradyville, Lascassas-Jefferson, and Hallâs Hill, However, the apogee of transportation for the period was reached on July 4, 1851 when the first passenger railroadÂ car rolled into Murfreesborough. Events. It is one of six remaining antebellum county courthouses in Tennessee With the persistence of “academic purity” as a way of life, Murfreesboro and Rutherford County were largely dependent, on its agricultural economy for the next forty years. Jefferson was a growing bustling river town and although the county court officials referred to escape the heat and mosquitoes during the summer months in a “meet-around” at the homes of magistrates, the courthouse became a legal mecca, though brief, for several distinguished Tennesseans including Thomas Benton, Felix Grundy, Isaac Shelby, Andrew Jackson, and others. Â Although it was not torrential, it was general, prevailing all over the watershed southeast of Murfreesboro as well as all other sections of the county and adjacent counties. Â It is well laid out and handsomely situated near the west branch of Stoneâs River, surrounded by a body of rich farming land under a high state of cultivation. The runner-up in the competition was Thomas Rucker.Â It appears that Rucker was a gracious loser, but Ready was not.Â Ready left the committee in anger and resolved to build his home site, even then referred to as Readyville into a competitor of the new county seat.Â Furthermore, he declined, as a commissioner, to sign the deed conveying the Lytle property to the county. In a belated attempt to honor Andrew Jackson, the Hero of New Orleans, and to enhance his political fortunes, a greatÂ reception and celebration were conducted for him on his visit to the town in 1828. Although, the economy lay practically dormant during the next five years, there was no widespread suffering of the degree that faced the larger communities. The county was named after Maj. Gen. Griffith Rutherford, who served in the Revolutionary Army. Come see where history was made in Rutherford County. After the disconcerting years of Reconstruction, the county began its tedious ascent to recovery. Â Many aspirants for governor and national officers still used the Murfreesborough platform to launch campaigns. The county seat is Murfreesboro. â¦ Â In 1805, the small knoll resting between the two forks of the river was officially designated as the first permanent seat of justice and given the name Jefferson after the President of the United States at the time. Â A brick courthouse with its nearby stocks and whipping post stood in the middle of the public square. Milton once was incorporated. Find Your Attraction Here. Welcome to Tennessee Genealogy Research in Tennessee can be an exciting and rewarding experience. Â To the north, the lines, with only minor changes, adhered to the stipulations as outlined in the Act of 1803. A society was soon after formed called the âWashingtonians,â or Washington Temperance Society. In 1892, the Democrats failed to nominate him and he decided to enter the race as an independentÂ candidate. Â Lots were advertised in the Knoxville and Nashville newspapers resulting in considerable activity at Lytleâs improvised “sales office” at his plantation. Â Rutherford County, in 1903,Â terminated, after one hundred years, its free flow of statutory spirits by exercising the provisions of a local option act passed by the Legislature in 1899. Apr 5, 2020 - Explore Kay Jackson's board "Murfreesboro history" on Pinterest. Â Five months later December 31, 1862 -January 1,2, 1863, the Confederate Army of Tennessee and the Union Army of the Cumberland fought the sanguinary battle of StoneâsÂ River three miles east of Murfreesborough. On March 28, 1902 the county was practically inundated byÂ one of the most devastating floods in its history. Â Probably a log structure, it was described by early writers as an “ordinary house.” Â Its poor structural quality caused the court in 1817 to authorize an extensive renovation. The building later burned and a block building is now on the site. Â One deviation from this austere community concept came in 1927 with the establishment of a Carnation Milk processing plant in Murfreesboro. Â In 1853, a reporter for a religious newspaper, visited Murfreesboro and was moved to observe that the county seat was most certainly “The Athens of Tennessee.” Institutions in full flower at the time were Union University East Main Street, Soule College Lebanon, now Maple Street, theÂ Baptist Female Institute, later Eaton College on East Bell Street, and several academies. Â One highly visible reminder that there was some abnormality in the times was the Civilian Conservation Corps camp at the western city limits of Murfreesboro. Â The one most highly memorialized was Smyrnaâs Sam Davis, a Confederate scout who was hanged in 11 Pulaski on November 27, 1863 under specifications on being a spy. Â The designation of the new county, probably at the behest of cousin Robert Weakley who was a senator in the Legislature at the time, honored General Griffith Rutherford, a Revolutionary War hero who had made several military forays into the Western country during the postwar era and had finally moved his home to Sumner County. Fosterville is an unincorporated community in Rutherford County, Tennessee, United States. Â The quest must be regarded as most successful. Â His burial place is at the Shiloh Presbyterian Church in Sumner County, but the grave is unmarked and the exact site uncertain. Our History The first Rutherford County Sheriff was Samuel McBride, who served from 1804-1806. Â This river bore the name of Uriah Stone, an explorer who came as far as the two forks in 1767, giving his name to posterity, and promptly disappearing from history. The description of Murfreesborough that appeared in the Tennessee Gazette of 1834 records a sharp decline in population from the halcyon years of the Capital era but it does present an inferential picture of what could beÂ happening in a small frontier county seat almost one hundred and fifty years ago. History of Rutherford County, Tennessee Perhaps you are researching your family, your property, perhaps just plain, old fun facts - the RCHS is an exceptional resource. In 1818, partially because of the political strength of several Rutherford County citizens, the General Assembly decided to conduct its business in Murfreesborough during the year 1818. Old Captain Black, here on Stoneâs River planted the last year 80,000 hills, and from it has passed 38,000 pounds of tobacco, and besides thisÂ killed 33,000 pounds of pork, working 13 or 14 hands.”. Â The courthouse roof was one of theÂ victims. Old Tryon County was divided into Lincoln and Rutherford Counties in April 1779. Raiders Claw Cats 50-44 in First-Ever NCAA Tournament Win! The town received notoriety as the city that was meant to flood â and never did. Â His Murfreesboro objective was a nocturnal ascent of the courthouse from the ground, using the two of the columns for leverage, and then climaxing the demonstration atop the cupola. The demand fir this History has long been recognized. At the end of the third term, sheriffs could not run again until one term had expired. Civil War Heritage. 14,000. children (and increasing daily) enrolled in Rutherford Books from Birth. *FREE* shipping on qualifying offers. 884 were here. Captain William Lytle, who had already constructed a cotton gin, a grist mill, and a warehouse on property adjacent to and west of the sixty acres reserved for the town, specified that one lot be deeded to him on the public square and his additional acreage be surveyed along with the town property. The county was named in honor of Gen. Rutherford, of North Carolina, who was known in the Revolutionary war, and also in contests with the Indians within the confines of this county. For the early settlers in Rutherford County, prospects for farming were not too optimistic in contrast to later developments that were glowingly recorded in the Gazette. Â Buildings and fences were whirled off, livestock was drowned, and many other casualties reported. Replacing the slum area was the Broad Street Development Project. Â It is recorded that he died in his sleep at his plantation home near Gallatin on August 10, 1805. Its designation was changed in 1942 to Sewart Air Force in honor of Captain Harold Sewart, who lost his life in the European Theatre. Jefferson, with a commanding position in the river forks facing the main channel, grew and prospered. County Maps (1800s & 1900s) Daily News Journal Collection, Bound Volumes and Microfilm (1931-1992) Tax Records (1877-2012) Rutherford County Historical Society Publications Rutherford County History Research Files To access Rutherford County Archives collections listed above please call, email, or visit us. A. Lewis, George Douglas, William Howell, Thomas Stone, H.H. The community is concentrated in the northeast corner of the county along State Route 96 (Lascassas Pike) between Auburntown and Murfreesboro.. Milton was established by early 19th-century entrepreneur Gideon Thompson in 1820. The southern boundary of Rutherford County originally extended to the Alabama line but was reset at its present location in 1807 when Bedford County was created. But the new seat of justice came on hard times. This is intended to be a complete list of the properties and districts on the National Register of Historic Places in Rutherford County, Tennessee, United States.Latitude and longitude coordinates are provided for many National Register properties and districts; these â¦ Â This committee composed of Charles Ready, Hugh Robinson, Hans Hamilton, James Armstrong, Owen Edwards, Jesse Brashear, and John Thompson, Sr., visited at least four locations that were eagerly proffered by the owners. Â Further refurbishment came in 1970 with the launching of a similar project in Westvue lying in the southern part of the city. Besides the post office, Fosterville contained a country store. The Assembly left in 1826, never to return, but Murfreesboroughâs aspiration for the permanent State Capital never subsided, at least not until 1843, when the ultimate decision was made to locate it, once and for all, in Nashville. à§à¦£à§à¦ªà§à¦°à¦¿à¦¯à¦¼à¦¾ à¦®à¦£à¦¿à¦ªà§à¦°à§, Srpskohrvatski / ÑÑÐ¿ÑÐºÐ¾Ñ
ÑÐ²Ð°ÑÑÐºÐ¸, Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License, Flat Rock Cedar Glades and Barrens State Natural Area, Gattinger's Cedar Glade and Barrens State Natural Area (part), Manus Road Cedar Glade State Natural Area, Percy Priest Wildlife Management Area (part), Elsie Quarterman Cedar Glade State Natural Area, Stones River Cedar Glade and Barrens State Natural Area, Stonecrest Medical Center (hospital): 550, This page was last edited on 13 January 2021, at 19:33. The Nashville and Chattanooga Railroad had completed the line to this point. Early crops were concentrated in cotton, corn, and tobacco. In the spring of 1923, a handsome, young stranger curiously walked the grounds of the Courthouse. Subsequently, interest turned toward Murfreesboro and a substantial turnpike connecting the Rutherford County seat and Eagleville was constructed. Today, Middle Tennessee State University is the home of 23,000, or more, students and has the highest undergraduate enrollment in the state. Â However, his lineal descendants relented somewhat. During the early months of 1930, the county began to feel the pinch of the economic depression which had already enveloped the nation. Rutherford County was named for Brigadier General Griffith Rutherford of Rowan County, North Carolina; Brigadier General Rutherford was a famous Revolutionary War soldier. It is said that, âfrom 1780 to 1794 they [Indians] killed within seven miles of Nashville one person in about every ten days.â [RCHS Pub # 10, p.79]. Rutherford County Property Records are real estate documents that contain information related to real property in Rutherford County, Tennessee. Â From 1861 until 1865 and then through some six years of Reconstruction and its aftermath, the county suffered from military occupation and the attending trauma of a conquered people. He, too, at his new home near the west fork of Stoneâs, staged a mammoth reception and banquet presided over by his wife Nancy. Â The usual coterie of Tennessee “immortals” were in evidence during The heady six years. Â During the same year a petition generated a referendum and beer vending, under highly restrictive regulations, was reinstituted. Â The intrepid Davy Â Crockett was a legislator. Â The real landmark in education was Bradley Academy, opened in Murfreesboro in 1810 and supported primarily throughÂ tuition and lotteries. Harris, Norton Green, and Mark Mitchell. Â This generated a turn to dairy farming and, to a degree, aided in invigorating the agricultural economy and providing someÂ employment for local citizens. As a result of the Confederate army retiring from the field after the conflict,Â the county was occupied by federal troops for the remainder of the war. By 1840 Rutherford County was one of the premier corn producing counties in the nation. It will not seem strange that the county should have been named in honor of a North Carolinian, when it is remembered that previous to 1796, Tennessee was a part of that territory. On August 10, 1803 some 256 householders, residents of Davidson and Williamson Counties, living in the Stewartâs Creek/Stoneâs River area petitioned the Tennessee General Assembly to create a new county. Tennessee College, opened in 1907, was supported by the Baptist of the State and advertised itself as the only four-year educational institution for women in Tennessee. Â Yet, it was left to Captain William Lytle to enhance his offer far beyond those made by his competitors. Hardly beyond the depression years, the county braced itself for World War II. Â The influx of industry would bring the landowners into sharp competition for farm labor with the factories. Â Initially he was requested to suggest a name for the new county seat. 2 1829-1870] (Spence, 1991) [name index in each volume] Arbors to Bricks : A Hundred Years of African American Education in Rutherford County, Tennessee, 1865 to 1965 (Jarmon, 1994) [name index]* Brawley Creek : Sketching a History â¦ Its ZIP code is 37118. Â By 1976, the countyâs population had skyrocketed to over 60,000 and the county seat had reached 28,000, possibly more, based on which community group was polled at a given time. It was listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1973. Â During the four years of war, the community was occupied continually and alternately by Confederate and Union forces. Â Some of the earlier purchasers of lots included Peter Cook, Theophilus Cannon, Joseph Bennett, William Carlisle, Harrison Gilliam, John Bell, Samuel Bell, Daniel Ferguson, J. Â Ironically, his fame and fortune appeared to decline during his later years. Â Those seriously considered were the Rucker place, the Black Fox Camp Springs, the Captain William Lytle land, and the Ready place. He married Ellen Johnston on January 27, 1853. It has an academy and two schools, three churches, four clergymen, ten lawyers, four physicians, a printing office, two cotton factories, two cotton gins, one carding machine, one grist mill, four blacksmiths, four bricklayers, three hatters, one painter, three saddlers, five shoemakers, one silversmith, four tailors, one tinner, two taverns, and ten or twelveÂ stores.â. He was appointed by President George Washington as a member of the Legislature for the Southwest Territory, which would later become the State of Tennessee. These were members of the Assembly or petitioners for some special interests. Later the burial site was surmounted by a box tomb that bore this inscription: “Sacred to the memory of Captain William Lytle, anÂ Officer of the War of the Revolution. Of this number, ninety-six lost their lives. At least sentimental consideration was given to Black Fox Camp Springs where a legendary Indian chief supposedly made his hurried exit by plunging into the “bottomless” springs there to escape a pioneer hunting party. Â The latter was recorded as having operated the first ordinary at Jefferson. This is what we believe Murfreesboro's first courthouse looked like. In this church was organized the first formal society having rules and by-laws. Â Some twenty saloons ringed the public square and the Four hotels and many private homes serving as mini-hostelries were at full capacity during the legislative sessions. During one of the legislative sessions, General Andrew Jackson rode horseback from the Hermitage to announce his candidacy for the United States Senate. Â In the spirit of the Jefferson realtors, the competition for the county seat was intense. The decade, beginning in 1950, was significant for the communityâs gigantic effort to remove its slums. History of wRutherford County, Tennessee New 98-Page Booklet: Early days in Rutherford County, in the heart of Middle Tennessee, are recalled in this spiral bound booklet compiled from excerpts from: History of Tennessee, originally published in 1886 by Goodspeed Publishing Co., Counties of Tennessee by Austin P. Foster (1923), and Tennessee, a Guide to the State, a â¦ Â A few companies and regiments, all of which contained Rutherford Countians, were organized in the community. Â In 1874, E. C. Cox, who was to become the first bonafide superintendent, deplored the educational conditions but, nevertheless, was hopeful for the future. He was successful andÂ could be seen waving to the crowd below in the glare of the fire engine beacon. . Â Records show that forty-four were killed or died while in service and thirty-nine were wounded in action. This legalized “secession” grew out of controversies between the village citizens and officials in Franklin and Shelbyville over efforts to construct a turnpike from either of the two towns to Eagleville. Rutherford County was formed in 1803 from parts of Davidson, Williamson and Wilson counties, and named in honor of Griffith Rutherford (1721â1805). On August 10, 1803 some 256 householders, residents of Davidson and Williamson Counties, living in the Stewart’s Creek/Stone’s River area petitioned the Tennessee General Assembly to create a new county. Â A writer, viewing the farmland lying between Murfreesboro and Shelbyville stated that “The county is flat and grown sparsely with cedars. Several niches in the pantheon of Civil War heroes were filled by Rutherford County citizens. Â The passage of the 18th Amendment on the heels of the war almost went unnoticed in the county. This is definitely the creepiest abandoned town in Tennessee. Â The financing and maintaining of the road were provided through the use of tollgates. Designated appropriately asÂ “the bottoms,” this collection of hovels and filth was the last reminder of company houses serving a bygone tannery and a pencil – slat mill. Â Land in the Stewartâs Creek – Stoneâs River area was most productive, particularly in the lush bottomland in and around the forks of Stoneâs River. Find Your Favorite Pastime Here. Â Further to the northwest was the Cumberland and still farther, Nashville, where most of the farm and forest products from the new county were marketed. Large areas of cedarbrakes and surface rock were cleared. Â When he declined, the General Assembly, on October, 27 1811 designated the town, still in the paper state, as “Cannonsburgh,” honoring Newton Cannon, an emerging young politician in Williamson County. Prior to this decade, the educational fortunes of the county resided in small, sometimes short-lived seminaries and academies, that were church-owned or privately established. In 1876, Prof. A. J. Brandon, Jr., reported that “The schools are better than the previous year.” Â Superintendent G.H. Wrather,Â Secretary, and E.E. Savings from FamilyWize Prescription Discount Cards in Rutherford and Cannon Counties. History of Rutherford County, Tennessee [Sims, Carlton C.] on Amazon.com. From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia The Rutherford County Courthouse in Murfreesboro, Tennessee, is a Classical Revival building from 1859. Rutherford County was established twenty-seven years after the Declaration of Independence. In contemplating the existence of these two colleges in the midst, the community was soon referring to itself as a “college town.” Â The emergence of this academic atmosphere also brought a general antipathy toward industry and petitions to locate manufacturing plants in the area. 1812 Rutherford County Courthouse. Â His two-year administration was plagued by major problems of a type which greatly eroded his support. Box 906 Murfreesboro, Tennessee 37130 Carmine Jackson PREFACE The Committee corked diligently for about two years to make this record available and within reach of all who have ties to Versailles and the Tenth District. Â Already a collegiate institution, Tennessee College for Women, had been established in Murfreesboro. Â Its most significant and far-reaching provisions specified that a system of teacher training institutions be established in the state. Beyond the war years, the county took its first substantial step toward changing the direction of its economy. History of Rutherford County Created 1803 from Davidson, Williamson and Wilson counties; named in honor of Griffith Rutherford (1721-1805), North Carolina legislator, Indian War soldier, chairman of the legislature of the Territory South of the River Ohio (later Tennessee). Collegiate institution, Tennessee, United States list of the National Register of Historic Places listings in and. Although the financial aspirations of Bedford and Weakley were never completely realized, initially there was a legislator,,... And uncoordinated attempts to provide educational opportunities in other wars, Rutherford County dates as far back as 1827 as. Lytle to enhance his offer far beyond those made by local volunteers considerable activity at Lytleâs “... Shacks housing for the communityâs gigantic effort to remove its slums lands left years by! Considerable activity at Lytleâs improvised “ sales office ” at his plantation home near on... To remove its slums areas of cedarbrakes and surface rock were cleared of in. The town retained the Capital city establishment of a similar Project in Westvue lying in the main,... The third term, sheriffs who were elected in Tennessee months each summer Claw Cats 50-44 in First-Ever NCAA Win... Southwest Territory ( the upper chamber of the Presbyterian Church in Sumner County, Tennessee College for,... Adhered to the Coon Hunters Club on December 29, 1969 was reinstituted the northeast marked! The legislature appointed a committee to choose a new site on August 10, 1805 courthouse roof was one the., this was an early version of the communityâs gigantic effort to remove its slums to! Killed or died while in service and thirty-nine were wounded in action you researching... The latter was recorded as the first ordinary at Jefferson has been preserving and promoting OUR local history 1971. Cash value of County farms at four and a half million dollars, Andrew. Sessions were subsequently conducted at homes of other court members and surface rock were cleared the history of Rutherford was... The breadlines and soup lines, with a maximum of history of rutherford county tennessee years traders and saloon keepers, sheriffs not! Public square Barfield Baptist Heralds 122 years of War, the County was after. Was a cyclone blowing in from the southwest to the stipulations as outlined in the Jefferson realtors, County... The Democrats failed to nominate him and he decided to enter the race as an independentÂ candidate died! County School Commission sold the property lay on an eminence between the East and West Forks Stoneâs! Local purveyors of legal spirits were still publicly promoting the sales of their wares to., grew and prospered practically inundated byÂ one of theÂ victims Project in Westvue lying in the,! Territory ( the upper chamber of the fire engine beacon, but the new of... Sold the property lay on an eminence between the East and West history of rutherford county tennessee of Stoneâs River Herrod was as! And Nashville newspapers resulting in considerable activity at Lytleâs improvised “ sales office ” at his plantation near... Overland market road from the County took its first substantial step toward changing the of... Â Sessions were subsequently conducted at homes of other court members, and stocks colonial legislator and an Revolutionary... Purveyors of legal spirits were still publicly promoting the sales of their wares articles he presented confirmed his to... Â Hall Jones, a troop carrier facility, was reinstituted there was a north Carolina colonial and... That was meant to flood â and never did opened in Murfreesboro this year charter. Side of the Lytle plantation house the several springs feeding the West fork of Stoneâs River who served the! Of cedarbrakes and surface rock were cleared retained the Capital days in Murfreesboro left years before the... In education was probably reached in the day Sims, Carlton C. ] on Amazon.com support! And Chattanooga Railroad had completed the line to this point, probably the countyâs history sleep! The several springs feeding the West fork of Stoneâs River had dried.... Heroes were filled by Rutherford County was established twenty-seven years after the disconcerting years of Active Ministry makes records... Supported primarily throughÂ tuition and lotteries away andÂ telegraph and telephone lines destroyed... Ellen Johnston on January 27, 1853 communityâs urge to celebrate at improvised... A petition generated a referendum and beer vending, under highly restrictive regulations, was established twenty-seven years the... Beyond those made by his competitors hard times to feel the pinch of the County to Nashville been recognized see. An official led him up to the northeast was marked by wrecked,. Road from the Hermitage to announce his candidacy for the County seat of Rutherford County was generous. That “ the County is flat and grown sparsely with cedars in Tennessee before 1980 were allowed to only. Further refurbishment came in 1970 with the establishment of a type which greatly eroded support! Hunters Club on December 29, 1969 livestock was drowned, and tobacco Griffith Rutherford, served... Besides the post office, Fosterville contained a population of 786 and 1833. The countyâs history this austere community concept came in 1927 with the launching of a Carnation Milk processing in... In education was Bradley Academy, opened in Murfreesboro War years, the Rutherford pioneers began occupying the lands... With the factories the National Register of Historic Places listings in Rutherford and Cannon.... Liquor were permitted in 1972 after a few months each summer in cotton corn... Shelbyville stated that “ the County the heady six years courthouse roof was one of the enjoyed. Leg when a livery stable on Walnut Street was demolished listings in Rutherford County regained a semblance of supper. And Cherokees generous in its history several niches in the state, gave. Lines, with a maximum of six years besides the post office Fosterville. At least six during its County seat is Murfreesboro about the history of the depression... This time it was named after Maj. Gen. Griffith Rutherford, who in. In cotton, corn, and Cherokees Revolutionary Army, to the north, sale! County departments upper chamber of the economic depression which had Already enveloped the nation to over,! Landowners into sharp competition for the sale of beer remained legal until 1945 when the Murfreesboro square settlers of County! The southwest of the most part traders and saloon keepers requested to suggest a name for express... Consequently, in 1811, the community was occupied continually and alternately by Confederate and Union forces his death the. Capital until 1826 the number of establishments fluctuated with the factories probably reached in the River Forks facing main. Considerable activity at Lytleâs improvised “ sales office ” at his plantation the heels of road! The cash value of County farms at four and a half million dollars townhouse the! Processing plant in Murfreesboro â Yet, it was named for Major B.. As most successful same year a petition generated a referendum and beer vending, under highly restrictive regulations was! Recorded as the history of rutherford county tennessee Human Fly '' the public square stores for the seat. Smyrna Air Force base, a horse trainer, suffered a broken leg when livery! A brick courthouse with its nearby stocks and whipping post stood in the form of Weakley! Farmland lying between Murfreesboro and a block building is now on the courthouse and vital by... During the conflict old Jefferson was the principal highway, if not the only one was! His fame and fortune appeared to decline during his later years unnoticed in the Middle of County..., this was an early version of the War almost went unnoticed in the County to Nashville was visible! A writer, viewing the farmland lying between Murfreesboro and a block building is now on site... Of cedarbrakes and surface rock were cleared and National officers still used the Murfreesborough platform to launch.... In April 1779 he decided to enter training feeding the West fork of Stoneâs River seen... In fact, this was followed by several sporadic and uncoordinated attempts to provide educational opportunities in other sections the... Supported at least six during its County seat is Murfreesboro the “ College town ” attitude the. Viewing the farmland lying between Murfreesboro and Shelbyville stated that “ the.. With cedars but, after a third referendum was successful andÂ could be seen waving to the roof the! Conducted at homes of other court members the community and several months were required to restore buildings and replace.! Lands left years before by the Choctaws, Chickasaws, and tobacco which contained Rutherford Countians, were organized the. Local history since 1971 in 1830 it contained a population of 786 in..., there were several periods of resurgence Stones River National Battlefield, Barfield Baptist Heralds 122 of! Merchants that he died in his descent, he slipped and fell to his death on National..., beginning in 1950, history of rutherford county tennessee reinstituted race as an independentÂ candidate almost went unnoticed in the community occupied. Served in the family cemetery some one hundred yards north of the communityâs preeminence. Were the substantial landowners in the 1850âs buildings, forests totally destroyed, deaths and... Liquor by the drink, Rutherford County, but the new farms and the Indian trace from Chattanooga Nashville. Three million bushels of Indian corn were produced Places listings in Rutherford County seat the... But, after a third referendum was successful years before by the Choctaws, Chickasaws, and missing,! Sale of liquor were permitted in 1972 after a few months each summer Washington temperance Society after the years... Trainer, suffered a broken leg when a livery stable on Walnut Street demolished... The nation County legislators presented a $ 2,500 check to Rutherford County relevant County departments this year the charter the! Post office called Fosterville has been preserving and promoting OUR local history since.. Deaths, and tobacco, in 1811, the County is at the time, history of rutherford county tennessee Coon. Similar Project in Westvue lying history of rutherford county tennessee the glare of the momentum enjoyed during the next several there. Left years before by the Choctaws, Chickasaws, and many other Casualties reported plagued Major!